Thursday, May 6, 2010

Pinel and the anti-psychiatry

Today I will talk about Philippe Pinel, the person I admire in the psychology. Although he is not psychologist is a very important person to the psychiatry and to mental health. He is a French doctor, and he participated in the French revolution. He works with Jean-Baptiste Pussin who promoted the moral treatment for mentally ill. Pinel worked in the Bicêtre, he decided there reformulate the treatment for mentally ill because they were treated as prisoners, them were shackled. In 1795 he assumed as chief physician of the Salpêtrière hospital. In this place he applied the same reforms that in Bicêtre. Then he dedicated to worked to improved the organization of hospital. Also he wrote in 1798 a Nosographie philosophique.Rather than being an important person for me, I considered that he is an icon in the psychiatry and psychology or rather for the anti-psychiatry. For someone Pinel is the father of. He is considered as the first medical psychiatry.
I considered that his work is very important because he changed the image of mental ill, to be the dregs of society to be people. Thanks to him, now the mentally ill are treated humanely.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tamy!

    I love everything that has to do with anti-psychiatry xD

    I think is more human thought!
    bye

    ReplyDelete